Upma very popular breakfast recipe which is common across Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Tamil nadu, Andhra Pradesh and where not. Very easy to cook and very healthy breakfast made out of semolina (Sooji) and sometimes coarse grinded rice. You get different flavors and recipes across India.
Semolina or Sooji is rich in Protein and Vitamin B. It is considered good for heart health and liked by many for supporting weight loss. But yes it is a wheat product which makes it high in carbohydrates, should be avoided by PCOS or Thyroid patients or can be taken in smaller quantities.
Talking about today’s recipe we are going to make Vegetable Upma which will have lots of vegetables and little quantity of Semolina or Sooji. Whenever I cook Vegetable Rice / Vegetable Khichdi / Vegetable Upma I make sure to add lots of seasonal vegetables available at home. You can do the same to include healthy vegetables in your meal.
- Semolina or Sooji (1 cup)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp or you can avoid it completely)
- Red Chili Powder (1/2 tsp or you can avoid it completely)
- Mustard Seeds (for tempering)
- Jeera Seeds (for tempering)
- Pinch of Hing (asafetida)
- Ghee / Oil (1 tsp for tempering, I have added 2tsp)
- Onion (1 Big Onion)
- Green Chilis (as per taste)
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Lemon Juice (2 tsp)
- Chana Daal (1/2 tsp optional)
- Urad Daal (1/2 tsp optional)
- Vegetables of your choice
- Green Peas
- Boiled Corn
- French beans
- Baby corn
First chop all the vegetables and keep it aside.
Dry roast Semolina or Sooji and keep it aside.
Take pan and put on gas stove to heat it. Once the pan is heated add ghee or oil. let it get heated and add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add jeera and pinch of hing. Now add curry leaves. If you want you can add Chana daal or Urad daal at this time and let it cook till it gets golden color. You can avoid it completely.
Now add finely chopped Onions and green chilis. Let them cook till onions become transparent in color.
Tips: You can add Peanuts or Cashew nuts if you like. It will add crunchy texture to your upma while eating.
Once Onions are cooked add chopped vegetables and let them cook for few minutes. Keep the lid on to reduce cooking time for vegetables. While vegetables are getting cooked, keep water to boil on the other burner so that you will have hot water ready for cooking your Upma fast.
Once vegetables are cooked add your roasted semolina or sooji to it and mix all together. Now add your dry spices and salt as per taste.
- Add your vegetables ordered by hard to cook goes first and easy to cook goes last. Let’s say potatoes, carrots and beans will take time to cook so add them first. Add capsicum or boiled peas and corns after vegetables are cooked a little so that they won’t become mushy and you can have bites of them while eating.
- Use boiled water to reduce cooking time. It will save your time as well semolina will get cooked nicely with hot water.
Now add boiling water to the mixture. be careful while adding water as the temperature created will make the water splutter and you can get burnt. So carefully and slowly add water to it, little at once. When you feel the water is appropriate and after mixing no lumps are there, let it cooked with lid on.
Tips: Water quantity is based on type of Semolina or Sooji you are using. You can’t blindly add water to it. Just check while adding water to it. If you like you can keep running consistency or you can have khichdi kind of texture, totally depends on your liking.
Just cook for five minutes. Add lemon juice to it and your yummy healthy Upma is ready to eat.
Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and Namkeen like bhujiya sev, or you can grate fresh coconut on it.
Enjoy your hot Upma with ginger tea or have it as a light dinner option. It can also help in your late night spicy food cravings.
Do try this recipe and let me know experience in comments below. As I always say shower your love with likes & comments. Also you can request any complex recipes you want me to try and make it simple.
Eat healthy & live healthy. Be happy always!! 🙂
Thanks for going through my blog, happy to have you.